Terms and Privacy Policies
This Website (“Site”) is owned and operated by The Mariners’ Museum (“We” / “Us” / “Our”), 100 Museum Drive, Newport News, VA 23606. The Site is for private, non-commercial, informational, and entertainment purposes only.
We provide the content on this Site, in support of Our mission to invite people to “discover their relationship to the sea by exploring maritime culture, science and history.”
These Privacy & Terms Policies are enforced in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the United States of America.
Terms and Conditions Policy
About the Terms
If We decide to change these Terms & Conditions, We will post those changes on this page and update the modification date below.
This policy was last modified on April 30, 2013.
Copyrights and Intellectual Property
We are the owner of the compilation of content that is posted on this Site, which consists of text, images, audio, video, databases, design, codes, and software (“Content”). All intellectual property rights (registered and unregistered), including copyright, design, patents, photographs, illustrations, software and trademarks in and on this Site shall remain vested with Us or Our licensors.
You may make fair use of Our content as defined by copyright law of the United States of America. Information on United States copyright fair use law is available from the United States Copyright Office (see http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html). Please note, You are responsible for determining whether Your use is fair and for responding to any claims that may arise from Your use. If You use copies of this Site’s text and/or images for purposes in excess of “fair use” as defined by the copyright law, You may be liable for copyright infringement.
We allow personal, educational (“classroom use by students and teachers”), and other non-commercial uses of Our Content on the following terms:
- You must cite the author and source of the content as You would material from any printed work
- You must cite and link to, when possible, this Site as the source of the content.
- You may not remove any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary notices including attribution information, credits, and notices, that are placed in or near the text, images, or data.
- You must comply with all terms or restrictions other than copyright (such as trademark, publicity and privacy rights, or contractual restrictions) as may be specified in the metadata or as may otherwise apply to the Content.
To use Our content for commercial purposes, first contact Photographic Services and Licensing at permissions@MarinersMuseum.org or (757) 591-7767. You may be required to pay Us licensing fees for commercial use.
This Site may contain links to other sites. These linked sites are outside of Our control, and as such, We do not accept responsibility or liability for their content, materials, products or services, or warrant the accuracy or security of the linked sites. If You visit a linked site, You do so entirely at Your own risk. Our inclusion of linked sites does not imply any endorsement of the material on them or any association with their owners or operators. Linked sites may contain advertisements—these advertisements are not recommendations or endorsements by Us and We are not responsible for the products or services being advertised.
Intellectual property rights of others
We respect the intellectual property rights of others and prohibit materials that violate another party’s intellectual property rights. If You believe any material on this Site infringes upon a copyright, please send a written notification of such infringement to Our Webmaster by taking the following steps:
- Identify the content and URL that contains the material You claim infringes Your copyright. Please word this similar to the following: “The picture of the ____ (or text) at the following URL infringes on my copyright: http://…”
- State that You believe “in good faith” that the material You identify as copyrighted is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- State that the information contained in Your copyright notice “is accurate to the best of my knowledge”, and that You attest under the penalty of perjury that You are the copyright owner or that You are authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
- Include Your name, mailing address, telephone number and email address. Forward these details to the address listed in the “Contacting Us” section below.
We will attempt to contact the source of the allegedly infringing material and may remove any content that is the subject of a notice under this clause within a reasonable time. We reserve the right to take any further steps We deem necessary to further investigate such content.
Without limiting the foregoing, all materials on this Site are provided “AS IS” WITHOUT A WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE, AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. We assume no responsibility, and shall not be liable for, any damages to or viruses that may infect Your computer equipment or other property as a result of Your use of this Site or Your downloading of any materials from this Site.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of Our online visitors, customers, members, donors, patrons, and friends.
We do not collect personally identifiable information about individuals, such as names and postal or email addresses, unless the individual knowingly provides it.
This policy was last modified on April 30, 2013.
What information do We collect?
Listed below are the types of information collected on all Sites We own and operate:
- Information Collected From All Visitors
- Type of user agent (Web browser) used, software manufacture and version number.
- Type of operating system and Web browser
- Screen colors (color processing ability of the users screen)
- Flash version
- Screen resolution
- Network location and IP address:
- Can include country, city, state, region, county, or any other geographic data.
- Bandwidth (internet connection speed)
- Time of visit
- Pages visited
- Time spent on each page of the Site
- Referring site statistics
- The site (URI) the user came through in order to arrive at this Site (example: clicking on a hyperlink from Google.com that took the user to this Site)
- Search engine query used (example: typing in a phrase into a search engine like Google.com, and clicking on a link from that search engine)
- We use tracking data primarily to optimize Our Sites for Our visitors. We also use this data for identifying Our audiences for marketing purposes and fundraising proposals.
- This data DOES NOT include any personalized identification information such as:
- Phone Numbers
- Email Addresses
- Location or Mailing Addresses
- Social Security Numbers
- Bank Account Numbers
- Credit Card Information
- Information Collected from All Users Who Register on Our Websites
- Online Purchases and Donations
You may use Our Sites without registering or submitting any personally identifiable information. However, when You purchase a product, make a donation, or buy a membership online from Us, You may be asked to provide such information that may include a user name and password, Your name, membership number, billing and shipping addresses, telephone number, fax number if You have one, email address, and credit card information to process Your transaction. Your information will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without Your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the purchased product or service requested.We store and use order information as follows:
- Order information: We will retain Your order information, as listed above, for Our records, so We can track Your order and facilitate customer service.
- Credit card information: We will use Your credit card information only as needed to process Your transaction or issue a refund if necessary. Following best PCI compliance practices, We never store Your credit card information on Our servers. Online credit card purchases are processed solely by Blackbaud Merchant Services, operated by Blackbaud. Blackbaud has validated compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) and the Payment Application Data Security Standard (PA DSS), as required by American Express, Visa USA, MasterCard International, Discover, JCB and Diners Club. More information about PCI security is available here: PCI SSC Data Security Standards Overview.
- Email addresses: The email addresses You provide for order processing, may be used to send You information and updates pertaining to Your order, in addition to receiving occasional museum news, updates, related product or service information, etc. If at any time You would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, We include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email.
- Employment, Volunteer, Docent, and Internship ApplicationsPersonal applicant information and uploaded documents (e.g., résumé, cover letter, transcripts, etc.) submitted via the online employment application form are securely transmitted via a 256-bit SSL encrypted connection between Your browser and an Adobe FormsCentral server. Applicant information and uploaded documents are never stored on Our servers. Adobe FormsCentral is an online subscription service We use for storing form response data, such as submitted applications. Submitted applications and uploaded documents are stored at Adobe FormsCentral and used by Our staff for selecting qualified applicants for interview. Applications and uploaded documents are retained for three years, per common retention practices. No applications or uploaded documents are kept in a “résumé pool” for future consideration, either in Adobe FormsCentral or in printed paper storage.
- Newsletters and Website EmailsWe may offer newsletters to share information with You about the Site, about the museum and about Our partners and affiliates. You may sign up to receive a newsletter either by registering for a particular newsletter or in conjunction with a special feature or membership for which You have registered on the Website. You do have to provide Us with personal information when You sign up for a newsletter. If at any time You would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, We include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email.
- Surveys and FormsWe post online surveys and forms to solicit comments, preferences, and requests from our audiences. Information submitted via Our online surveys and forms is securely transmitted via a 128-bit SSL encrypted connection between Your browser and a Google server. Survey and form responses are automatically recorded into Google Apps Spreadsheets stored on secure Google servers. We may choose to export those spreadsheets for offline storage, printing, or reporting when necessary.
- Online Purchases and Donations
Yes. Cookies are small files of information that are stored on Your computer’s hard drive by Your browser that enables the site’s or service provider’s systems to recognize Your browser and capture and remember certain information. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but You can change the preferences of Your browser so it does not accept them.
To make purchases online from Us, We recommend You accept cookies.
Do We disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties Your personally identifiable information. We may release Your information when We believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce Our Site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
California Online Privacy Protection Act (OPPA) Compliance
We value Your privacy and have taken the necessary precautions to be in compliance with the California Online Privacy Protection Act. We therefore will not distribute Your personal information to outside parties without Your consent.
Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) Compliance
We do not solicit or collect any personally identifiable information from anyone under 13 years of age. Thus, We are not required to comply with the Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act. Some of Our Sites and products are directed to children under 13, but no personally identifiable information is solicited or collected.
Send Your questions, comments, or concerns about Our Privacy & Terms Policy or any other aspect of Our Sites to:
The Mariners’ Museum
100 Museum Drive
Newport News, VA 23606